Okay maybe a billion is a long shot, but I read the Hiten Shah article on how Trello could have been a $1B business (via startup chat) and was surprised to discover there are lessons for how I can turn Sql Data Viewer into a sustainable business.
What trello and SDV have in common:
- Mass (horizontal) appeal
- Easily copied
- Difficult to sell premium versions of the general purpose product (“stickers” anyone?)
I was going to just sell SDV for £100 and be done with it, but this article showed me a better way.
- Give the general purpose tool away for free (as Trello does)
- Collect contact information in exchange for the value provided by the free tool.
- Use the contact list to have conversations with businesses that use it in order to…
- Find out how integrating tightly with their business could provide real value over and above the general purpose tool.
- Build vertical-specific integrations, stickyness & marketing.
- Profit! (No underpants required. Or gnomes.)
What do you think? Drop me a line: email@example.com